Search This Blog

Friday 25 January 2013

Top Gun 3D is taking the piss!


                   For me, 3D has pulled its final straw. "Yeeerr outta heeeere"


The Top Gun 3D trailer was released yesterday. Not that you have to watch it for plot points etc, unless you haven't truly lived. (Yep, I said you haven't lived, properly that is, until you have seen Top Gun). It isn't a must, but it is a Tom Cruise movie that has managed to tame the average movie fan for decades.

I have never been a fan of 3D (so this is easy). However  I have given certain movies such as Life of Pi the exception. But to further the wallet bill by releasing a movie such as Top Gun is in fact taking the piss! Who needs it? Who asked for it? WHY! The argument here is; if they had of just re-released Top Gun for a week or so, with the 2D concept, I would be more than happy to see it. I don't need 3D to persuade me into believing the flick being re-released is a classic...I know it is. For the soundtrack alone, an maybe the cheesy acting, I would be more than happy to enter a world of nostalgia for 100 minutes.

This unfortunately, is just another step toward a change in filming we don't want to see. Last year they re-released Scarface (2D) for one night. It was one of the best experiences I have had in a cinema. Just to have the opportunity of seeing the rise an fall of Tony Montana on the big screen was exceptional. I did not ask for much more than the basics, and I never will. Obviously Top Gun is on a completely different level to Scarface, but certain movies, depending on how old they are should be simply left alone.

It is like when a director steps up to remake a horror movie...just leave it alone. What ever happened to originality!

So 26 years later, Top Gun is set to be re-released on February 8th. It will be shown in IMAX for one week before it's immediate push to blu-ray. You can Watch the trailer for Top Gun 3D here.

"I feel the need...the need for speed!"....sorry.

1 comment: