Search This Blog

Saturday 1 September 2012

Independent prospect: Justin Casey


We are currently relishing in the fact that at the moment, possibly for the first time, a percentage of Irish can actually listen and enjoy the growth of Irish hip hop. Without taking away the fact that I for one have always enjoyed our rap culture, the harsh reality is that Ireland still struggles to take our very own seriously when it comes to expressing the abilities of lyrical flow.

The success of The Original Rudeboys has opened up a whole new genre of Irish hip hop, leaving the door open for talent to follow, whether it's a concept to sing, rap, or maybe both. So on that note, I wish introduce, to those who are unaware of the rising talent that is, Justin Casey.

Who? Again (for those who don't know), Justin Casey is a 21 year old singer/songwriter and part-time rapper from Tallaght. Justin carries an unfortunate up-bringing that would inspire each and every one of us. Just over a year ago, Justin resolved to desperate measures as he started to develop and express his vocal skills to the streets of Dublin. According to Justin, life wasn't always strawberries and cream as he describes his time from busking, to recording in a studio. He said "I started singing a little over a year ago. I was homeless for a few months and started busking to make money, that is when I started. Then about 7 months ago I started recording and putting music up"

Justin, along with the band are touching 5,000 views with their latest track, Afroman's Colt-45. In terms of previous work, Sound cloud is supplying a great source for Justin's library of music, where tracks such as "Raging Waters "State of mind" and a cover of "9 crimes" can be played and downloaded for free.

According to Justin (right), each song has truthful meanings in relation to life experiences, describing his desire of including his very own touch of Irish rap as a "better understanding to my lyrics". A fine example of story telling through his lyrics is Justin's very own Raging waters, which reflects hugely in terms of his personal life. He explains "yes, it is written about my early life. I was put into care at 4 months old. I then went to O'malleys foster family until I was 15 then moved into a residential unit. After nearly two years there my da killed himself. I went off the walls and was kicked out of the residential unit. I spent a year with a few different family members and wound up on the streets. So yeah, raging waters is based on that."

 With very few gigs to represent, Justin's fondest memory is supporting the Original Rudeboys at their album launch in the Grand social; "supporting the lads was only my third ever gig. My first was in Captain Americas. It was an open-mic night. The second was in Aherns pub representing a cancer benefit night".

Fortunately for Justin, a good deed towards cancer resulted in supporting one of Dublin's up and coming, hoping this was the break he deserved. He said " Thankfully on that night there was a well known manager from MCD there. he was there because he knew the person who's benefit night it was, so after I performed he called me over. He said he really enjoyed my set and that I reminded him of the Original rudeboys".
Coincidentally, the Grand Social was one of many venues at that time to host the Original Rudeboys leading to quite an accomplished album in, This Life. Independent artists are swarming the scene by the week, particularly Dublin which I am proud to say. With old and new embracing us with talent, it will really take something fresh to persuade the listeners/viewers of Ireland that you, apart from the rest, is in a sense, original. Justin Casey has no doubt got the vocal abilities to "wow" an audience, with his own take on Irish rap to help provide that true meaning to his tracks.
Besides from the events in life that inspired Justin Casey's music, he quickly pays homage to whom, as an artist, inspires him. He said " Ed sheeran has played a huge part in my inspiration as well as being a fellow ginger, his music has opened my imagination big time. Without fail the Original rudeboys have played their own part of inspiring me. He continues to say; "I wrote state of mind after hearing 'Stars in my eyes'. It showed me a way to say what was needed and in more detail than if I was to sing the verse. I found that to rap parts of the track could give off more of an understanding to my lyrics, particularly in "State of mind".
There are currently three tracks on youtube; a great take on Afroman's Colt-45,  a cover of 9-Crimes and Justin's very own, featuring Veer Left, Wrong Road (below)

Justin Casey has taken the usual route of trying to discover his talents through the people of Ireland. There is nothing more powerful than the social network, a concept that has proved worthy of developing a wider audience for the artist in seek of a particular goal. With a facebook page and a youtube account up and running, I believe Justin is happy with the response so far, as he trys directing the people with interest towards his sound cloud. I asked Justin about his reaction to the response thus-far, he said; "As the days go by I am more and more overwhelmed at the feedback I am receiving. I never thought so many would seem to like my music believe it or not, but since we started talking, my page has got over 40 new likes ha ha, it has got over 150 today alone".
With the youtube views growing every day, the three songs, (two covers) consist of nearly 6,000 views between them. In terms of what the future holds, Justin remains optimistic. Describing himself as "just some chap on the dole that can play guitar", he looks to keep writing in preparation of numerous gigs in November. He explains; "I have been focused on writing a nice back catalogue of songs, although I don't plan on any gigs till November where I will be playing the academy 1 as part of block c studio sessions. so I am just writing till then, with the odd video here and there"

Hopefully the people share the same opinion as I do on this guy. In terms of using his Dublin accent on his tracks, Justin could play a part in resembling our very own Damien Dempsey or Ryan Sheridan, which is a statement I think even Justin will disagree on. let us notice the fact that Justin's vocal abilities are fantastic, offering a likable character and a great band representing him. At the moment I can't think of many Independent artists seeking to achieve something they haven't already. Sure, we can continue to take into account the desire of vintage "Irish rappers" and the effort they have put into gaining some sort of recognition, but I have said my piece on that category. Justin Casey is one of very few in the mix to follow a genre of artists who knows, with the correct element, (I have explained that element too many times now) he will acheive something. It is a result that must be looked at in the long hall where he will be eventually considered among a popular scene, whether it is using his singing abilities, or chancing his arm at the jaws of Irish hip hop.
An Independent prospect - Show your support: Those willing to support Justin Casey can purchase a ticket for the Academy session which takes place on the 23rd of November. Tickets on sale September.

*Click and Share the link (below). It will take you to Justin's version of Colt-45 which is in contention to be one of eight entries to play at the Academy. Depending on views, Justin could be in there to win the competition which will see a category of artists perform and be professionally recorded. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYnop5c70L8

*Like and share the facebook page. Here you will find the latest info/songs from Justin. http://www.facebook.com/JustinCasey2012

*And finally, the source for Justin's music so far. All to download for free. Widen your knowledge, here. http://soundcloud.com/jcasey2012

No comments:

Post a Comment